African American
History Resources


African American History Resources

Black Fives
Black Fives, Inc. researches, preserves, promotes, and teaches the history of African American participation in basketball. In particular, its focus is on the many all-black teams that played from the early 1900s through the late-1940s, prior to the racial integration of pro basketball, a period they call the Black Fives Era. You can also read Claude Johnson's very interesting blog and buy a pair of basketball shoes.

This is the place to start for black history on the web. is dedicated to providing reference materials to the general public on six centuries of African American history. It includes an online encyclopedia of hundreds of famous and lesser known figures in African America, full text primary documents and major speeches of black activists and leaders from the 18th Century to the present. There are also links to hundreds of websites that address the history of African Americans including major black museums and archival research centers in the United States and Canada.  In addition to all the other wonderful material, you'll want to check out African American History in the West to get a view of black history that you won't find anywhere else.

The African American Mosaic
The Mosaic is the first resource guide to the Library of Congress's African-American collections. Covering the nearly 500 years of the black experience in the Western hemisphere, the Mosaic surveys the full range, size, and variety of the Library's collections, including books, periodicals, prints, photographs, music, film, and recorded sound.

Amistad Research Center
Amistad is among the largest of the nation's repositories specializing in the history of African Americans. Papers of African Americans and records of organizations and institutions of the African American community make up about 90 percent of the Center's holdings. The other 10 percent, significant in number and content, contains documentation on Native Americans, Puerto Ricans, Chicanos, Asian Americans, European immigrants, and Appalachian whites. Check out the IMLS digital project.

Association of Black Women Historians
An excellent place to start for those who are serious about studying Black women's history, the ABWH site includes links, bibliographies, and other valuable resources.

African American Nurses
Aetna Insurance sponsors this highly informative site about the history of African American nurses and nursing.

Images and Exhibits

We have so many links to images and exhibits that explore African American History, we have had to create separate pages for all of them! Click on a link below and start exploring.


Early Years

Civil Rights

The South

The Northeast

The Midwest

The West

If you want more images, check out our guide to Image Research Online. Virtually every site listed there contains images of African Americans as well. The sites listed on the sub-pages are simply the places with the largest collections of images of African Americans.


Family in Key West, Florida, at the turn of the century. Florida Photographic Collection, Florida State Archives.